Union National was one of the city’s largest locally-owned banks throughout most of the Twentieth Century.
In 1885, William J. Turner, a former chief clerk and deputy in the Arkansas State Treasurer’s office, established his own private banking business, W. J. Turner and Company. The company’s first location was 223 West Markham Street in Little Rock.
After Turner’s death in 1893, two brothers, Sydney J. Johnson and Allen M. Johnson, bought the business and changed the company name to S. J. Johnson Company. S. J. Johnson purchased Guaranty Trust Company in 1899. In 1902, the two merged companies were incorporated as Union Trust Company.
In 1919, another Little Rock bank, Mercantile Trust Company, was merged into Union Trust Company, forming Union Mercantile Trust. In 1924, the word “Mercantile” was dropped from the company’s name.
In 1933, the name of the company was changed to Union Bank. The following year, the company received a national bank charter and became Union National Bank. Union National Bank was merged into the Worthen Banking Corporation in 1993.